Saturday, June 04, 2011

It was all yellow...


The colour this month for the 2011 Rainbow Scrap Challenge is yellow. Now I like yellow just fine, but frankly, it's not a colour which is in danger of taking over my stash or my scrap collection, so I didn't envisage being able to do an entire project in yellows, even if I wanted to, which I'm not sure I do. Plus, back in May, when the colour was pink, I made a pink and yellow scrappy top, which used some of my yellow scraps...

However, one thing I do have a lot of, still, is blue scraps, and blue and yellow go nicely together, so I decided to take some blue squares and some yellow squares and make QST (quarter-square-triangle) units.




I decided to combine these with some plain squares in yellows and blues and came up with the nice little scrappy top at the top of the post. It's not sewn together into a top yet, just in blocks, so I may play around with the placement a little more to split up some of the similar scraps, but I think it works. And it did get rid of most of my yellow scrap stash. Of course, it hasn't made much of a dent in the blue!


And finally, some yellow string blocks which will in time become string hearts to go with the other colours. Somehow I seemed to end up with 11 of these, which isn't very practical, so I may make one more if I have enough different strips left in yellow...

8 comments:

blauraute said...

You used wonderful yellow fabrics for your blocks.
Have a nice and cozy weekend
Roswitha

Judee said...

What a great scrappy top. You are giving me an idea....

scraphappy said...

I love yellow and blue together. What a nice way to avoid an entirely yellow quilt and use up even more blue.

Plum Cox said...

It looks really cheerful - lovely colour combination. Well done!

Lynne said...

I love all the variations of yellow in the string blocks.

Yesterday I learnt five different ways to make 1/2 square triangles so I'm in a playful mood!

Angela said...

Yellow and blue do look fabulous together, I love your scrappy top!

Quilter Kathy said...

Yum...love the yellow blocks!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Now I've got Coldplay running through my head :o)

Yellow is one of those funny colours...not a dark nor a light. It almost acts like a focus fabric that needs accompanying colours to keep it in check. I like the blue and yellow combo..works really well.