Saturday, May 24, 2008

Knitting - if you can call it that



OK, now don't laugh. Here it is - I can't really call it my first attempt at knitting as I was taught to knit as a child and did do a little (bad) knitting back in the day. Honestly, I can't say I'm that much improved, LOL, but it's not too bad. It's only a small piece - I cast on 20 stitches (though I think there might be 21 on there now) - and decided I would either pull it all out or give it to one of the kids as a scarf for a teddy (Olivia has now claimed it for one of hers, as it happens).

I've done some garter stitch, some stockinette and a bit of moss stitch as well - my main problem seems to be with tension at the edges, but hopefully, that will improve with practice. One thing we did which I'd never seen before was to cast on a different way - longtail casting on - if I can remember how to do it, I will probably cast on that way all the time in future (presuming I have a future in knitting, that is) as I really like the finished edge it gives.

The best part about doing this here with an experienced knitter is that she can fix all my mistakes as I go along - yeah, Cathi!

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

I do a kind of a long tail cast on - it's essentially knitting off my thumb to create a stitch. (Easier to show than to describe, sadly.) Let me know if you want a tutorial and I'll see what I can do.

AmyB said...

Looking pretty good... I knit (and ripped) an entire skein twice before I tried to make anything -- it helped me get some of the tension kinks worked out. (Slipping the last stitch on the edges helps too!) Now I really want to learn to knit Continental (yarn in left hand), as it seems more efficient.

Chocolate Cat said...

Looks like I'm not the only one attempting some knitting at the moment!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Practice makes perfect...just ask my DD1...she's a much better knitter than I'll ever be. I knitted a wash cloth a few years ago and that satisfied my knitting interest. Good luck with the scarf and say hi the Cathi for me ;o)

Cathi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Rome wasn't built in a day - lol ! Looks pretty good. I was taught to knit by my mum at age 6 - I was a late learner as my sister was 4 - I've never lived it down.

atet said...

The knitting is looking good -- and really, it's not that bad is it? I'm chuckling here -- though not at the knitting, that looks just fine :0).

Anonymous said...

It's looking great!! And another quilter crosses over to the dark side mwwwhhhaaaa