Sunday, December 26, 2010

Nearing the bottom



Well, as of today, this is what's left in my scrap basket. I will be making some more scrappy blocks with these in the hopes of getting through them, but the end is in sight. When I decided it was time to do something, the basket was full to overflowing, even after some judicious compacting... To give you a sense of perspective, I would say this basket is about 15" deep and at least 12" across. It's not a small basket!

Before you get TOO impressed, there are still scraps left, but they are more useful scraps - this basket has larger scraps - being things approximately 3 inches square and larger (though I have trimmed all those bizarrely shaped pieces to be square or rectangular, which will help when I need quick pieces for projects). [The bottom basket just has fabric which needs to be put away into my boxes for storing F8 size and up by colour - that stuff was never in the scrap basket.]



I have a box of strips (this box was about 2/3 full before) - strips here being anything which is a) at least 1.5 inches wide and b) more than twice as long as it is wide.



And of course, I have some blocks - I have 30x6" (finished) blocks and 49x4" blocks - I am still making the 4" blocks, though - I like doing them better than the 6" ones, though the latter may prove to be more useful in the long run.



I also made some other blocks today, which used some of my strips up - but these I can't show as they are for the January block lotto - I had the sneak peek this month... I'll try to remember to show them come January!

7 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Phew! Well done :-). I've had my mum here for five days so haven't got into my sewing room at all - in fact it seems to have been used to store junk! I got the sneak preview too, and love that block, so will be starting on that after I've taken mum to the station

Diane Kelsey said...

WOW! You really have set yourself a challenge, but what an excellent way to use up some of your fabric.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Good progress there!! I managed to empty my small pieces scrap bin for all of 30 seconds...seems that even when you try to empty it..you still have something new to throw in! Look forward to seeing how you use up your blocks!

Sarah said...

Im impressed with your organisation!!! I wanted to go into a new year with no UFO's - not likely to happen but I might take inspiration from you and at least tidy up!

Gail said...

I'm impressed! My sewing room/office looks like several cyclones hit! It will take several days to get it in any kind of order! I like the smaller blocks best myself but you've been busy.

C said...

Wow! I love all of those blocks! so clever. Do you use a pattern or just wing it to make the scrappy blocks?

Quilter Kathy said...

That is quite an accomplishment...wow! Can't wait to see what you do with these blocks!