Saturday, January 09, 2010

Cold, Snowy (slightly) Saturday



Well, it's been ages since I had a block to work on for the Bloggers Round Robin - this was due to a hold up along the way with one of the participants. Yesterday, I finally got another set of blocks to work on (these are lovely, by the way - I wish these were coming to me!) and so today, I have taken the chance to make a nice block in batiks to go with them. I'm not sure how many more are due to come to me (I think we have 24 people, total, but I wouldn't swear to it!) but we are getting closer to finishing... It's been great fun - I'd love to do it again if there is another round.



I was going to do some more sewing after that, but I had to contend with a very impatient small boy (nearly 7, as he constantly reminds me - his birthday is in a month's time) who wanted Something To Do. He decided on sewing (having rejected playing with lego, reading, stickers, colouring, a puzzle, etc - all things that would have involved minimal Mummy participation) and so a house was made. He's big on embellishments, bless him. This house features very little actual sewing (only the edging), but at least it kept him occupied for a while.



And finally, here's the finished tablecloth quilt - I stitched down the last of the binding tonight and am really pleased with the effect. I love the stars, and the row setting really suits them, I think. Olivia thought the curved corners were particularly fun and was happy to hear this one was a keeper.

8 comments:

floribunda said...

I'm a big fan of rainbow arrangements (though not rainbows in any other artificial sense) -- so I really like the way your stars came out. I'm going to have to arm-wrestle you for the January blocks, though... maybe we'll both win some!

Kathy said...

The star tablecloth is very striking. I'm not sure when you will use it, as usuallly your table seems to be full of projects or food for meals. Mine is the same, so I never put a cloth on it.

Those blocks for the quilt are quite gorgeous. I can see why you would love to have the finished quilt. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I think a lot of times when kids say they are bored, they are really lonely. Good of you to spend time with him, particularly teaching him the joy of crafts. The tablecloth is great. I've thought about rounded corners, but never actually made any. Is it hard to do a curved binding?

Joy V said...

Love the table cloth Kate and the round corners - I often do mine that way - I find them easier than mitering the corners!

sewkalico said...

Your tablecloth looks FAB! And Alex's house is so cute!


ps, when did we start trading African blocks?

Ruth's Place said...

Love the table cloth, the corners look great!

Hannele said...

Beautiful table cloth =)

Winter Wanderings said...

I love your "color-study-in-stars" tablequilt -- inspiring me to do something similar!