Monday, September 03, 2018

Revisiting my Journal Quilt Project, week 42

Back in the day, when I didn't work and had a lot of time for making art (when not inundated with small children), I used to experiment with more techniques and materials. This week's journal quilt was made using neocolour crayons - they can be used in lots of ways, but I decided to monoprint with mine.  I used the technique on some postcards for a swap, and then on the journal quilt as well. Because it's interesting, I think I'll share the method as well...

Here's a photo of the glass plate with the crayon on - I think you could probably draw your design with the crayons dry and then mist it with a spray bottle, but I've not done it that way - I just dipped the tip of the crayon in water and coloured as I went along. The secret is to make the plate pretty wet before you try to transfer the colours - if it's at all dry, they just stay on the plate and don't move to the fabric.

Because it's a monoprint and only works once by definition, I made all of mine fairly different, but I didn't bother to take photos of them all in construction.

Once the design was on the plate, I placed the fabric over and smoothed it out to come into contact with the glass (left below). Right below shows the fabric after the print has been made.


After printing, I added free motion stitching to emphasize the shapes and then a few embellishments - I think they work fairly well. The journal quilt was printed twice - not from the same print, but I did colour them similarly. It's not a technique I'd want to use on a huge area as it's a bit time consuming, but it works nicely for postcards.

No comments: