Monday, August 28, 2006

Oldie but goodie...


Today's sewing (I've been doing a lot lately to compensate in advance for the long weekend when my mother-in-law will be here, and I will get very little done) was very satisfactory. I cut out all the rest of the pieces for the Christmas blocks for that swap, and I put together some more of the blocks from the Penny Pincher 2 swap on about.com (the purple jewel-box blocks). I plan to make 2 quilts from these - one for a baby/play quilt using 24 blocks and one normal sized quilt using the other 48 I have. I swapped 40 blocks, and made nearly as many for myself - they were nice blocks to make, and really made a good dent in my stash of 3 inch squares.

I also finished sewing together the string squares for the quilt I am making Cathi for a housewarming. Because all the blocks are foundation pieced (on fabric) it's already quite heavy, and I'm thinking I will simply back it with fleece, etc, rather than batting and backing. Which means I need to go shopping for fleece or something like that - what a hardship! But it looks nice, and she'll enjoy it, being a huge fan of scrappy quilts. And it will be a nice lap quilt, as it will be very warm.


And finally, I dug into my pile of older items and pulled out a top centre which needed some borders adding to it - I've had the fabric to do this for ages, just never got around to it. The centre blocks for this quilt are so old, I couldn't even begin to date the quilt - years. The blocks are ok, although I notice they aren't quite as precise as I would expect from myself today - guess our standards change over time! I don't know why I never got around to putting the borders on - just one of those things, I guess. Anyway, today I decided I wanted something a little different, so dug it out of the pile and put them on. I have the backing for this quilt, too - of course, it needs to be seamed together, but I didn't do that today - wouldn't want to do TOO much!

No comments: