Showing posts with label nadia's quilt. Show all posts
Showing posts with label nadia's quilt. Show all posts

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Another finish


...and this time, a big one - Nadia's quilt is done, including the binding - hoorah!  She's going to come collect it in a few weeks' time, which is good for her as she'll be able to have it on her bed when we get to quilt season...

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Nadia's quilt - quilted


Don't think I ever showed this once it came back from being longarmed. I have now attached the binding and need to sew it down - that will probably take me a week, given the size of the quilt!


Sunday, July 01, 2012

Batik quilt - top finished!


My floor isn't quite big enough to lay this one out all the way, but you can get a fairly good idea of it with the final border on. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's come out, and it's made a dent in my batik stash (though I still have quite a few, mostly in blues, purples, etc).



Saturday, June 23, 2012

Busy weekend


With the school summer fair today and Sandown Quilt Show to visit tomorrow, not much sewing time is expected this weekend. I realised I haven't shown this yet - the penultimate border on the batik quilt.  The final border will be in the orange you can see a narrow stripe of already - it has trees in it, which don't show much in the narrow stripe but will show better in the wider border, when I come to it. 


Saturday, June 16, 2012

Batik update


I've now managed to attach the next round of blocks on this batik quilt top - there are only two borders left - one a little narrower, one wider - and then it's done. Or at least, the top is done!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

More on Nadia's batik


These are some blocks (half the number needed) for Nadia's batik quilt - they will make the next round around the existing piece. I decided to do them in a variety of colours as the final two rounds will be solid colour - I'm hoping they won't end up too busy - I guess we'll see, once the rest of them are done and I have them laid out around the centre...

Sunday, May 13, 2012

More work on the batik quilt


I added three borders today, all mitred. The first was the sort of stripy fabric in browns with a little purple and orange in it (doesn't show much in this photo). 


The second is a narrow orange border, really kind of rust coloured, with trees, though they don't show much in this narrow of a strip.  I plan to use this fabric again as the very outside border.


And finally, another border of the original stripe.

Next step, I have decided, is a border of framed four patch blocks, using some light batiks like the ones in the centre, crossing the green blocks, and a variety of miscellaneous batiks with them. Then there will be two solid borders and that's that.  Of course, first I have to do those framed four patches - I need 32 of them.  But that's a job for another day!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Batik quilt, steps 2 & 3


The next thing I did to the batik commission quilt was to add a purpley red border, about an inch wide, then another border made of wonky four patch blocks. I'm very happy with it so far. Next step is to introduce some new colours - I want to get some brown into it - I have a very nice warm brown or two. So I'll do that by using a kind of dark neutral batik I have which has a purple tinge and some orangey brown streaks in it. Hard to describe, but I think it's going to work nicely. That will have to wait for next weekend, though.


Saturday, April 21, 2012

Batik beginnings


This is the start of a new quilt top - this one is a commission, so I don't have to feel guilty about starting a new project. I'm going to work through using up some of my batik stash.  This will be the centre of the piece, and I will work out bit by bit. I'm kind of making it up as I go along, to be honest!  At this point, it's about 24" square, and it needs to get up to about 90" or so, so we've got a way to go.  But I wanted to do something a little different than just making a load of similar blocks and chucking them together.